WARNING: THIS IS GOING TO BE RUDE.
So, there is an absurd amount of terrible and flat out ignorant information on Magick, Hermeticism, and the sort on the internet. If you actually practice Magick (or even if you do it for real) you know or SHOULD know these common sense rules I’ve made for not embarrassing yourself and giving out bad information like you probably give out HPV.
1. DO NOT give advice on working magickal systems you’ve never worked. Those who have and/or do work those systems can see your fuckery.
2. DO NOT make distinctions between “white” and “black” Magick. Your inability to understand non-duality and those two things being parts of the whole brings into question your ability and motivations.
3. Check and double check quotes before you post them. Unless you’re intentionally making a joke, those of us who’ve actually read the authors you’re ‘quoting’ are getting annoyed by the amount of misquotes happening online.
4. Cite your fucking sources. If you’re making an argument, attempting to summarize the teachings of someone/thing, or wildly throwing around accusations, I, for one, would really like to see where you got your information.
5. If you haven’t read anything BY THE AUTHOR don’t act like you study them. I love Lon Milo DuQuette but I wouldn’t read him and immediately proclaim that I now know everything there is to know about Aleister Crowley.
6. Please don’t try to write in languages you don’t understand, especially Greek and Hebrew. Also, don’t try to google translate shit to look smart, google translator DOES NOT make you look smart.
7. When discussing Tarot, it is best to not make stupid fucking statements like “the original Tarot” or “the old Tarot” because unless you have a copy of that shit the oldest one we can find ain’t from fucking Egypt or Atlantis or whatever. Also, if you’re referring to the A.E. Waite deck, the Tarot deck INTENTIONALLY MADE INCORRECTLY to obscure truths Waite was sworn to protect, as the ‘old’ or ‘original’ I need you to stop.
8. Chaos Magick is a highly complicated and difficult system relying on much personal understanding and intuition, it is not a refuge for the lazy Magician or someone too weak or unorganized to follow other systems.
9. If you’re trying to posture and look tough or evil, go to school for advertising, marketing, or something of the like, don’t try to use Magickal imagery, most of it has meanings very far from what you think.
10. If you think you’re a Satanist, check out the etymology on the word Satan and check back in with me to see if that’s what you still identify with.
11. Magick, like everything else in life, is what you make of it. “Magick is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will.” So says Crowley and note the capitals. What your shitty lower ego wants has little to do with your Higher Self’s Needs.